Join me for a start-to-finish approach to fermented dairy!
For thousands of years, humans have been transforming milk through fermentation into a multitude of foods including butter and buttermilk, kefir, yogurt, and cheese. These traditional processes increased nutrient density and bioavailability, created digestibility and safety, and unleashed an incredible array of flavors and textures!
This introductory, on-demand course will cover the basics of dairy fermentation in a way that empowers you to begin to create your own clabber, fermented butter, kefir, butter milk plus Mesophilic and Thermophilic yogurt in your home! We will cover all the following steps:
Sourcing the highest quality dairy possible and navigating the confusing grocery store dairy aisle,
Obtaining essential tools and supplies for fermenting dairy in your kitchen,
Handling both raw and pasteurized dairy safely,
Initiating and controlling the fermentation process with both raw and pasteurized milk,
Making both Mesophilic and Thermophilic yogurt,
Separating the butter fat and butter milk from fermented cream,
Draining and transferring kefir grains to fresh milk,
Understanding the step-by-step process of making clabber, kefir, fermented butter, plus 2 types of yogurts!
- 4 Instructional Videos:
- On-Demand hour long Master Class professionally filmed by Emmy award winning Director, Brandon Gulish
- A webinar style video where Dr. Bill outlines the Prehistory and benefits of dairy; Earliest evidence of dairy; How ancestral groups around the world today are still fermenting dairy;
- A webinar style video where Dr. Bill describes our modern dairy consumption/production; It’s just like being in one of Dr. Schindler’s college classes!
- Watch as Dr. Bill walks you through all about the equipment necessary to ferment dairy in your home kitchen and learn how you can use tools you already have in the equipment video!
- A Fermented Dairy Workbook highlighting:
- Kefir Recipe
- Mesophilic Yogurt Recipe
- Thermophilic Yogurt Recipe
- Fermented Butter Recipe
- Recommended equipment, ingredients and supplies
- Relevant readings highlighting ancestral approaches to fermented dairy
This course is the only thing standing between you and the ability to ferment dairy, so you can enjoy nutrient-dense kefir, butter, clabber and yogurt using traditional methods in your own kitchen!
Here’s how former students have answered the question, “Why is learning to how to ferment dairy important to you?” Can you relate?
- I’ve always been very health conscientious. In the past few years, I’ve really been working to have a stronger connection with my food and the landscape that it comes from. At first, it was about purchasing organic foods, and then it became about eating locally. Now, I’m really interested in food processing and preparation. If I make more of my food, I can control what goes in to it, as well as how it is utilized by my family. That is exciting to me!
- Mostly to feed my family the most nutritious food possible. I’m skeptical about food from the grocery store and want to give my kids the best nutritional foundation that I can. Cooking is also a hobby for me and my kids.
- We eat a lot of yogurt and enjoy quality cheeses
- I love dairy and want to continue eating it for the rest of my life without worrying about whether it’s good for me or not.
- I’ve been on the path to making most of our nutrient dense food from scratch, and dairy is a piece of the puzzle that intimidates me the most.