Be better prepared for Cinco de Mayo this year by learning how to make the most delicious and nourishing tortillas possible!
The powerful ancient process of Nixtamilization is the only way to unlock the maximum amount of nutrients from maize for our bodies.
Our family learned how to nixtamilize maize in the mountains of Oaxaca from a traditional group and now will pass on the ancestral techniques to you!
Remember – Nixtamalization is the ONLY way to process maize to get it to give up its nutrients and allow our incredibly inefficient digestive tracts absorb all of nourishment it has to offer.
Join us and learn how to replicate this ancestral process in your home kitchen so you can have healthy tortillas, tortilla chips, grits and corn nuts!
You will learn how to:
- source traditional maize,
- prepare it to be nixtamilized,
- complete the entire nixtamilization process,
- fry the maize into corn nuts,
- make grits,
- grind the maize into nixtamal,
- hand press the nixtamal into tortillas,
- cook the tortillas so they poof, and finally
- transform the tortillas into tortilla chips using high quality animal fat.
At the end of the class, you’ll be able to make 4 types of nixtamilized food products in your home kitchen:
- Corn Nuts
- Tortilla Chips
Added bonus: Everyone will leave with enough freshly ground masa to create their own authentic tortillas for tacos or quesadillas for your next day’s Cinco de Mayo party!
Class runs 10am – 1pm